This month the local cooking challenge focus is chicken. As we sell our chickens as whole frozen birds, a lot of my chicken meals begin that way – chicken over rice or chicken over potatoes. But usually I have leftovers, especially if I have cooked 2 chickens at the same time. These can be made into chicken soups, chicken sandwiches, chicken salad, or chicken casseroles.
Recently I made Creamed Chicken, a recipe that I grew up with that came from the Mennonite Cookbook. It is one of those comfort foods, warm and nourishing, good for a winter evening.
Creamed Chicken from the Mennonite Cookbook
- 3 tbsp butter or oil
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp salt, opt
- 1/8 tsp pepper, opt
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp minced parsley
- Make a white sauce of the fat, flour, milk and seasoning.
- Add chopped chicken to white sauce and heat thoroughly.
- Add beaten egg and parsley and blend together.
- Remove from heat and serve over toast.
How do you like to use leftover chicken? What are your comfort foods on these colder days? What chicken meals have you made this month?