Beef Barley Broth
This is a simple broth, simple to make, simple to eat. It is more broth than stuff. It is good with a hearty bread.
- 2 pounds meaty beef soup bones, can use beef shanks or short ribs
- 8 cups water
- 6 whole peppercorns, opt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped turnips (or 1 cup other veggies)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup medium pearl barley
- In a large soup kettle, combine soup bones, water, peppercorns and salt. Cover and simmer for 2-1/2 hours or until the meat comes easily off the bones. Remove bones; remove meat and marrow from bones; dice and return to broth. (Yes, dice the marrow and add it back into the soup. The fat gives the flavor!)
- Add the veggies and barley. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer about 1 hour or until vegetables and barley are tender.
Typically, I put everything in the pot about 2 hours before we are going to eat. Then about 15 min. before we are going to eat, I remove the bones, take off and dice the meat and marrow, and return them to the broth. Both ways work. Original recipe