The meaty shank soup bone is browned, then veggies are sauteed, and all of it is simmered for several hours. Yummy-licious!
- 2 tbsp oil, butter, or fat
- 1-2 meaty shank soup bones
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 1 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 18 oz. diced tomatoes
- 2 cups broth, chicken or beef, use up to 2 cups, as much as your pot will hold
- Brown meaty shank soup bones in oil for 3-4 minutes on each side in dutch oven. Remove from pot.
- Saute the fresh veggies. Add oil if needed.
- Put the meat back in the pot under the veggies. You do this by pushing the veggies to the side and putting the meat down, then covering the meat with the veggies.
- Cover with diced tomatoes. Add broth. Cover pot. Bring to a boil, turn to low, and simmer for 2-3 hours.
- Take meat out, cut into fine pieces or shred. Cut marrow into small pieces. Add back to pot and stir it all together.
- Serve as is or over rice or potatoes.
This is based on a kitchn.com recipe and comment on someone else's website. Neither had good proportions. They were -ish recipes. So feel free to -ish with what you have on hand.